Monday, December 20, 2010

THE KING'S SPEECH

CAROLINE: The King's Speech is one of the most critically acclaimed movies of the year and has lots of Oscar buzz for Best Picture, Actor and Supporting Actor.RYAN: And I'm going to speak this entire review in an English accent.CAROLINE: Mercifully, our readers won't be able to hear you.RYAN: I know. I sound like Madonna on a bad day. This movie was really about Colin Firth and Geoffrey Rush for me. They both deliver Oscar worthy performances, and should at least be nominated. And the story's compelling as well.CAROLINE: It's based on the true story of King George VI, who was the current Queen Elizabeth's dad, and his horrible stammer which led to many an embarrassing public speaking engagement. It sounds a little dry and weird, but it's quite entertaining to watch him try to get over his problem.RYAN: I think we can all relate to the fear of speaking in public, even if it's just when a teacher calls on you in class. The movie is shot in such a way that you really feel the pressure he's under, especially with the entire nation listening.CAROLINE: Totally. I just wanted to hug Colin Firth and tell him everything would be all right because you can totally feel his fear. And I loved the relationship between him and his vocal coach, Geoffrey Rush. Every scene they had together was fabulous. RYAN: Helena Bonham Carter plays Colin Firth's wife, and she's good, but she didn't do anything super original for her. I much prefer her as Bellatrix in the Harry Potter movies.CAROLINE: Of course you do, honey. The movie as a whole is very good, and it's always fun to get a behind-the-scenes glance at the royal family; but I'm not sure I'd say it's the best film of the year as many are saying. It's just kind of an artsy British film. RYAN: I'm with you. It's a very well made film but I wasn't doing back flips over it. CAROLINE: Maybe that's why you fell asleep at the screening.RYAN: Busted! I totally took a 20-minute nap. This movie lulled me to sleep. Mostly it was because I was tired, not because I wasn't enjoying the movie; but I think there was a moment in the middle where I lost interest for a bit.CAROLINE: I, on the other hand, did not feel the need for a nap. I was engaged throughout. This movie is very much a period piece. It takes place through the '30s leading up to WWII. The costumes and the sets are great. And I loved the methods that Geoffrey Rush employs to try to get Colin Firth over his stammer. I laughed out loud several times. RYAN: I think you might have liked it a touch more than I did.CAROLINE: It's definitely not a movie for everyone. I'd agree that the acting is probably the best thing about it. I really liked the story, especially since it's not a typical royal family movie that just follows the ascent of a monarch; but it's the performances that stood out most for me. RYAN: Next year at the Oscars, if Colin Firth wins it may be a case of rewarding him both for this role and for A Single Man last year, since he lost out to Jeff Bridges. But he did a remarkable job here - it can't be easy to learn and use a stutter so naturally.-- BOTTOM LINE --CAROLINE: It's a small, artsy, British movie which has a little more of a niche audience than some of the other Oscar contenders. I'm sure adults and people our parents' age will love it. The cast and performances are wonderful, it made me laugh and I really liked the story. I'm just not sure this movie requires a viewing on the big screen.RYAN: Ditto. It's totally worth seeing for anyone who's in the mood for a mature film, and it features outstanding performances from Colin Firth and Geoffrey Rush.-- RATING --Cheeky & Fresh Movie Reviews

movie trailers movie news movie reviews spider-man box office

No comments:

Post a Comment