Friday, April 22, 2011

SOURCE CODE

RYAN: The new Jake Gyllenhaal movie, Source Code, is kind of like a feature length episode of The Twilight Zone.CAROLINE: It definitely draws from other sci-fi/action/thriller type movies like Avatar and Vantage Point with a touch of Groundhog Day in there. But not in a lame, derivative way, fortunately.RYAN: It's a really interesting movie that kept me engaged throughout. It's like a puzzle that you're trying to piece together, and I like that you're trying to figure out what's going on along with Jake's character.CAROLINE: If you've seen the trailer, you know the basic premise; but if you didn't, you might be a little confused at first in a good way. I liked the story, but it gets a tiny bit repetitive, which I suppose can't be helped. I was never bored though because it's a nice, tight 90 minutes. Who doesn't love that?! Plus Jake is hot.RYAN: Totally! He seemed to be in great shape for this movie, though sadly, he doesn't appear shirtless in any scenes. I also couldn't believe his chemistry with Michelle Monaghan! Amazing.CAROLINE: She's so cute, and it was great to see her in a more substantial role. They were great together.RYAN: Jake G. really gets to flex his muscles as an actor in this and show some intensity, not to mention having to replay the same scene over and over while making subtle changes each time. He plays suspicious really well.CAROLINE: He's on a hot streak of really good movies, with the exception of the disastrous Prince of Persia. I'm impressed by him lately. He can pull off both the action hero roles as well as play the romantic leading man.RYAN: And I always love Vera Farmiga. She's great in everything she does.CAROLINE: Her character is a little bit cold and calculated and unemotional, which I think she does well. Sometimes she's not the most expressive actress, but it works for her in this role. I certainly enjoyed this movie, though for some reason I liked it but didn't love it.RYAN: Really? I kinda loved it. I love science fiction and I was way into the action. Combine that with a great cast and it's like, "What's not to love?!"CAROLINE: Maybe it's because I saw and really liked Limitless and The Lincoln Lawyer lately, and you didn't. If I hadn't seen either of those movies yet, this would have been the first decent movie of the year for me, and I might have been more psyched. But it's totally entertaining, and a very good movie considering the time of year we're in.RYAN: Jeffrey Wright plays a character that you love to hate.CAROLINE: Sometimes his enunciation irritated me a little bit.RYAN: Yeah, he overdoes it a little; probably because he's a theater guy. But I really have no complaints about this movie. The special effects are great, and I'd say this is worth your money on the big screen. -- BOTTOM LINE --CAROLINE: I thoroughly enjoyed myself during this movie, and I really appreciated the length. Too many movies are overblown these days. Great cast, fun movie, and it definitely keeps you guessing. There are even some unexpected funny moments. I'd recommend it for the theater if you're interested, but I also think it would make an excellent rental in a few months.RYAN: I'd recommend it for the big screen because of the action and excitement. I loved that we were trying to figure out what was going on along with the characters. And it raises some interesting moral and ethical questions too. It's a good one!-- RATING --Cheeky & Fresh Movie Reviews

action movies movie trailers movie news movie reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment